Friday, October 13, 2023

Opinion | I Hope Someone Somewhere Is Being Kind to My Boy | After Refusing to Fly, Climate Researcher Loses His Job | Airbnb's CEO isn't happy with how the business has grown, and wants hosts to lower their prices | Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: ‘I Worry That What We’re Looking at Is the End of Curiosity’

View online | Unsubscribe (one-click).
For inquiries/unsubscribe issues, Contact Us


Learn more about Jeeng

Learn more about Jeeng

Learn more about Jeeng

Learn more about Jeeng
Learn more about Jeeng













You Might Like
Learn more about RevenueStripe...

Learn more about RevenueStripe...


Learn more about RevenueStripe...

Learn more about RevenueStripe...

Learn more about RevenueStripe...

Learn more about RevenueStripe...

Learn more about RevenueStripe...













Want to accelerate software development at your company? See how we can help.
Want to accelerate software development at your company? See how we can help.





Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Worry That What We're Looking at Is the End of Curiosity' - The Atlantic   

Gal Beckerman: Recently, I rewatched your viral 2009 TED talk, “The Danger of a Single Story,” in which you describe the way that the people can sort of limit one another with very constricting narratives about who they are. I wanted to ask you about the state of the single story right now, with a slight twist. When I watched that TED talk, it seemed to me that you were talking about how people impose a single story on one another. But I also see that we’re in a moment where people are imposing single stories on themselves, whether it be race or gender or political affiliation. When you gave that talk, did you have that aspect in mind?

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: No, I didn’t. It’s interesting what you said about the single story no longer being just about an outside imposition, but almost in some ways a self-imposition. I think there’s a problem with the way that we’re living now. I think we now kind of live in these ideological tribes that have imposed on us an adherence to orthodoxy. And Ayad Akhtar, who’s this writer I really admire, says that there’s a moral stridency in the way that we respond to speech, and that there’s something punitive about it. I think it’s true. I think people are afraid and self-censor. The single story—they then impose it on themselves. You have people who now increasingly think that you cannot write about experiences that you have not personally had. And I think that’s terrible for literature and for the idea of an imagination that is allowed to grow and soar. I don’t think that there’s any human endeavor that requires freedom as much as creativity does. I worry that what we’re looking at is the end of curiosity, the end of creativity, the end of learning, even.

Beckerman: You recently wrote an essay on the 10-year anniversary of the publication of Americanah, and we excerpted it in The Atlantic. And you had a lot of interesting things in there about the genesis of the book, including what you’re talking about right now. There was one line and one particular word that stood out to me. You said, “Of all the complicated emotions that animated the conception of this novel, bewilderment was the most present.” I wanted to ask you: What bewilders you today about America?

Continued here





You are receiving this mailer as a TradeBriefs subscriber.
We fight fake/biased news through human curation & independent editorials.
Your support of ads like these makes it possible. Alternatively, get TradeBriefs Premium (ad-free) for only $2/month
If you still wish to unsubscribe, you can unsubscribe from all our emails here
Our address is 309 Town Center 1, Andheri Kurla Road, Andheri East, Mumbai 400059 - 415237602

No comments:

Post a Comment